iMac has impressive performance as compared to Windows platform. It runs smoothly without too many crashes and error messages. However, the situation has been changing. With the passage of time iMac becomes slow and laggy.
This article is combined with tips and trickscks to speed up iMac. Follow the troubleshooting steps given below:
· Hide Unwanted Desktop Icons
· Minimize Startup List
· Check and Clean Hard Disk
· Quit the Processes consuming more CPU and Memory
· Use Cleanup Utilities
· Update your System
Hide Unwanted Desktop Icons
Items placed on desktop are source of increasing boot time. Reduce the number of icons displayed on your desktop. Instead of keeping lot of files on your desktop, move them inside a single folder. Follow these steps to hide unwanted desktop icons:
1. Go to your desktop and remove all unwanted files.
2. Create a folder with desired name and drag important files in it.
Minimizing items on desktop would increase boot time and performance of your iMac.
Minimize Startup List
Installation of different applications increases your startup list. When you install applications on iMac they are automatically configured in startup settings. When you load your OS these apps are loaded automatically. Long list of startup items reduces the performance of your system. Follow the instructions given below to minimize startup list:
1. Close all active programs.
2. Go to System Preferences and select System
3. In System you need to click on Users and Groups.
4. Go to Login Items.
5. Unmark all unwanted applications.
Check and Clean Hard Drive
iMac normally uses the free space available on your HD as virtual memory. Virtual Memory of your system plays significant role in performance of your system. If you have more data placed in HD, it would reduce the amount of Virtual Memory. By freeing up HD you can improve performance.
1. Select all unwanted items/applications one by one.
2. Drag them to trash.
3. Also remove the items which are rarely used.
4. Finally empty the Trash folder..
Quit the Processes Consuming More CPU and Memory
You never know what is causing your system to perform slower. Apple has introduced Activity Monitor through which you can check Memory and CPU usage. It shows a list of applications which are currently in use. Through this monitor you can check RAM, Virtual Memory and CPU.
1. Open Activity Monitor.
2. Check the applications which are consuming more memory and CPU.
3. Quit from these applications.
Use Cleanup Utilities
Sometimes these cleanup utilities do a lot improving system performance. These utilities conduct cleaning functions and maintenance tasks that optimize system performance. Furthermore they are responsible for removing cache and temporary files.
1. Open your web browser.
2. Search for iMac Optimization utilities.
3. Download and Install such utility and launch it to improve performance.
Update your System
The most significant way to improve performance of iMac is to update it. These are so many items present in your system which require update. You need to update these components on regular basis. Always check for software which need update and do the required update as maintenance step to improve performance of system.