The performance of Windows 7 based computer decreases day by day. The programs & games start lagging, applications load slowly due to which it becomes very difficult to work on it.
By following a few guidelines and regularly tweaking your computer, you’ll observe a great improvement in the system performance. No matter how much tech savvy you’re; this article deals with such tools and techniques that anyone can do easily without any difficulties.
- Schedule Disk CleanUp
- Make Changes to your Registry
- Uninstall Unnecessary Software
- Defrag the Registry
- Turn Off Visual Effects
- Speed Up the Folder Browsing
- Stop Unwanted Services
- Unload DLLs when Applications are Closed
- Disable Startups
- Avoid System Overheating
Schedule Disk CleanUp
To make your machine run smoother, it is important to delete unwanted files and folders stored on your hard disk. The lesser files you’ll store; the more improvements you’ll see in the computer performance.
Disk CleanUp is a tool included with Microsoft Windows that help users in finding and deleting unwanted files and folders. I’m providing steps to schedule this task so that you don’t need to remember it at all.
- Click Start button on your Taskbar.
- Type CMD in the Search box and press ENTER.
- Type CleanMGR.EXE /sageset: 1 and then press ENTER.
- Disk CleanUp will open. Mark all the items checked and then click OK. This will make Windows understand which items it should clean when it executes our scheduled task.
- Click Start.
- Type Task Scheduler in the Search box and press ENTER.
- Click the Action menu and select Create Basic Task.
- A wizard will appear on your screen. Type a name, say Clean-Up the Disk Automatically. Type a description, say Delete temporary files to make your hard disk clean.
- Answer When do you want the task to start? as Daily. Click Next.
- Keep the default date, select a time comfortable for you and then click Next.
- In What action do you want the task to perform? select Start a program. Click Next.
- In Program/ Script, type C:\Windows\System32\CleanMGR.exe
- In Add Arguments, type /sagerun:1
- Click Next.
- Confirm the settings and click Finish.
Make Changes to your Registry
Registry is the database where several settings are stored. Due to several reasons, these changes affect its performance. I have mentioned some registry tweaks below which will improve Windows 7 performance:
- Click Start, type RegEdit and press ENTER.
- Open the following location:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
- Double click MenuShowDelay. Replace 400 with 200 and click OK. The lower number you’ll specify here, the faster Start Menu will load.
- Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control.
- Double click WaitToKillServiceTimeOut and replace 5000 with 1000. This is the timing specified after which unresponsive programs are automatically terminated.
If you are unsure how to make changes to your Windows registry use some effective system utilities software such as PCFresher.
Uninstall Unnecessary Software
Have you installed a bunch of software programs? Installing more programs wastes your disk space and makes your computer slower. It is also found that most of them run every time your computer starts. To improve Windows 7 performance, remove the programs you don’t use.
- Click Start | Control Panel | Programs | Uninstall a Program.
- One by one select and uninstall all unneeded programs.
Defrag the Registry
De-fragmentation of your Windows registry is a very essential task. It is because almost all programs continuously change the registry information thus resulting in a huge fragmentation.
Download a Registry Defrag tool such as RegInOut. Start this tool, close other open programs and defrag the registry.
Turn Off Visual Effects
Sometimes appearance versus performance situation is created in Windows. Follow these guidelines:
- Click Start, right click My Computer. Select Properties.
- Click Advanced System Settings.
- Under Performance, click Settings.
- Select the option Adjust for Best Performance and click OK | OK.
Speed Up the Folder Browsing
To reduce the slight delay in browsing folders, change the settings given below:
- Open My Computer.
- Press Alt key of your keyboard, select Tools | Folder Options.
- Click the View tab. De-select the box named Automatically Search for Network Folders and Printers.
- Click Apply | OK.
Stop Unwanted Services
Running a number of services increase the load on your processor and computer runs slower. Improve Windows 7 performance by stopping the unwanted services.
- Click Start, type Services.msc in the Search box. Press ENTER.
- Stop the following services:Indexing Service, NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing, Help and Support, Remote Registry Services, Human Interface Access Devices, Messenger, Remote Procedure Call Locator, Workstation and Wireless Zero Configuration.
Caution: Do this step at your own risk. Stopping a service can disable functionalities of depending programs.
Unload DLLs when Applications are Closed
DLLs are loaded by programs for loading their data. As default, after an application is closed, the DLLs loaded by it are unloaded after some period of time. This obviously wastes your RAM and your computer run slower. There is a feature called Always Unload DLL which should be enabled like below:
- Click Start, select Run. Type RegEdit and press ENTER.
- Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Currentversion\Explorer
- Make a new string with name AlwaysUnloadDLL. Double click it and type 1 as its value. Click OK.
- Close Registry Editor.
Stop excessive programs from running every time your computer is started. For this task, System Configuration can be helpful.
- Click Start, select Run. Type MSCONFIG. Press ENTER.
- Deselect all items from the Startups tab except your antivirus program.
- Click Apply | OK.
Avoid System Overheating
Is your computer overheating a lot? If so, take appropriate steps to avoid this situation and make it run faster.
Turn it off, open the cabinet. Clean the dust on both the fans installed. Clean the graphics card and other components of your CPU.