Call of Duty 4 lagging is not new for gamers. They experience it no matter for how they are playing it. The game stops responding for a while and again works fine. This happens all the time and the enjoyment turns into mere frustration. Are you experiencing COD lags too? If so, you have come at the right place.
RegInOut Download w/ Verisign Digital Certificate
- Change Process Priority and Affinity
- Enable Steam Cloud Sync
- Defrag your Registry
- Restore Player Settings to Defaults
- Prevent Graphics Card from Overheating
- Optimize Services
Each process in the queue is performed based on its priority. Using Task Manager, change the process priority and affinity so as to fix Call of Duty (COD) 4 lag in PC.
- Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete.
- Select Start Task Manager and press ENTER.
- Click Processes tab in the new dialog.
- Right click Call of Duty.exe process and select Set Priority | High.
- Again, right click it and select Set Affinity. Deselect CPU 0 and keep CPU 1 checked.
- Click OK and close the Task Manager.
Steam Cloud stores game data of several supporting games. For instance keyboard and mouse settings, single player game data and so on. To fix Call of Duty (COD) 4 lag in PC make Steam Cloud 'Sync enabled'.
- Double click Steam shortcut on your desktop.
- Right click Call of Duty icon, select Steam Library | Properties.
- Click Updates and make Enable Steam Cloud Sync unchecked.
- Save the settings.
- Restart the game for the changes to take effects.
Registry is a system database that contains several computer settings and user data. This information becomes fragmented over a period of time. This is because nowadays almost all programs use registry and continuously modify it.
For the smooth running of the game it is important to make sure that your registry is not fragmented. In other words, defragment it by using a Registry Defrag software such as RegInOut.
Restore Player Settings to Defaults
COD lags are also experienced if the player settings are changed. Restore them to defaults to fix Call of Duty (COD) 4 lag in PC.
- Open My Computer.
- Double click C:\Program Files\Steam.
- Open SteamApps\Common\Call of Duty Black Ops\Players.
- Right click and delete the following files present in the above directory: Config.cfg, Config_mp.cfg
Prevent Graphics Card from Overheating
If your graphics card is overheating may be because of dust or other reasons, you may start experiencing said lags. In order to fix Call of Duty (COD) 4 lag in PC, clean your computer, graphics card and processor so that no components will overheat.
The background services needs to be checked once again. There can be certain tasks that use most of your RAM and thus Call of Duty freezes. Optimize the background services by performing the steps mentioned below:
- For Windows XP, click Start, select Run. For Windows Vista and Windows 7, click Start, focus on Search box.
- Type Services.msc
- Press ENTER key.
- Stop all unneeded services.