This article is a detailed troubleshooting guide for fixing Portal 2 crashes.
1. Check Minimum System Requirements
2. Turn Off your Firewall and Reset DEP
3. Use Compatibility Mode Option
4. Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable
5. Clean-Up the Registry
6. Update Windows Drivers
Check Minimum System Requirements
Make sure that your computer is capable of paying Portal 2. If the computer belongs to an older version, it most probably fails to run the game and you experience this problem.
Your computer must have the following hardware and software components installed in order to run this game:
· Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7, Vista or XP
· Processor: AMD 64X2 or Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz, Dual Core 2
· Free Hard Disk Space: 7.6 GB
· RAM: 1 GB for Windows XP or 2 GB for Windows Vista/ 7
· Graphics Card: 128 MB which supports DirectX 9
· Sound Card: Any sound card that supports DirectX
Turn Off your Firewall and Reset DEP
As I said earlier, Windows Firewall can be stopping Portal 2 from running. The best way is to turn it off whenever you want to play the game.
1. Click Start | Control Panel.
2. Click System and Security | Windows Firewall.
3. On the left hand side, click Turn Windows Firewall On or Off. (See below figure)
4. Select Turn Off Windows Firewall for both Home or Work and Public network locations.
5. When you’re done, click OK to confirm.
If you still experience Portal 2 crashes after turning off your firewall, then exclude it from DEP. DEP refers to Data Execution Prevention, which is another security feature in Windows Vista and Windows 7 operating systems.
1. Click Start, right click My Computer.
2. Select Properties.
3. On the left hand side, click Advanced System Settings.
4. From Performance, click Settings button under Advanced tab. (See below figure)
5. In the new dialog, click Data Execution Prevention tab.
6. Select the second option Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select and locate the main executable file of your game.
7. Click Open | OK | OK.
Use Compatibility Mode Option
The Compatibility Mode option can be found in the File Properties dialog of Portal 2 shortcut file. By using it, you can prevent Portal 2 crashes if there is an issue with the compatibility with your operating system.
1. Right click Portal 2 desktop shortcut and select Properties.
2. In the new dialog, click Compatibility tab.
3. Check mark Run this game in compatibility mode for.
4. Select an earlier version of Windows from the next drop down box provided.
5. Click OK.
Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable
Problems belonging to the installation of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable can also cause Portal 2 crashing. To prevent this problem, simply reinstall this tool.
1. Click Start, select Control Panel.
2. Click Programs and then Uninstall a Program.
3. Select Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable from the list of programs that appear.
4. Select Uninstall option.
5. Let the setup wizard load. When you’re prompted to select a task, select Uninstall or Remove this program option and click Next.
6. After the process is finished, click Finish.
7. Download a fresh setup from Microsoft Download Centre.
8. As soon as the download is finished, run it and continue with the installation.
Clean-Up the Registry
Often registry related issues cause Portal 2 to crash. What you have to do is download a Registry Cleaner, perform such as RegInOut and perform a full registry scan and find out whether problems exist in the Portal 2 registry paths or not. If there are errors, clean them up.