After buying a new computer a lot of people want to transfer their programs & files from the old to the new computer. But the only problem is that they have a number of programs installed and family photo albums, music & other stuff stored that they don’t want to lose while making the transfer process quicker. Of course, it is not a simple task. While I was searching for a solution, I came across PCMover- an automatic file transfer software.
A file transfer software can be used for two purposes.
Firstly, for making the transfer of all/ selected programs, applications and
games. Secondly, for transferring your documents, music, videos, & other
stuff without hassle. The main advantage of using such file transferring software
is that there is no need to manually check-out the things once you give command
to that program. In other words, by simply just selecting programs and files, the
entire task will be done without needing your physical presence and attention.
On the other hand, as all of us know selecting, copying and pasting data from
one computer to another waste a lot of time. Additionally, in the manual
transfer, there is no guarantee that the transferred programs would work
because transfer of associated registry information is impossible.
(Transfer Programs & Files from One Computer to Another)
We’ll here see how to transfer programs from one computer to another, obviously using an automatic file transfer software.
Select a Transfer Medium:
Before going through the actual procedure, you need to have any of the following components so the actual transfer procedure can take place.
· An External Hard Disk
· CD/ DVD Disc
· A USB Drive
· Local Area Network (LAN)
· EasyTransfer Cable
How to Transfer Programs from One Computer to Another?
If you have decided the transfer medium, do the steps given below:
- Download PCMover from its official website.
- Double click the downloaded file and continue with its installation. On successful completion, reboot your computer.
- Make sure no other programs are running. Open PCMover by double clicking its desktop shortcut.
- PCMover Professional will open in a wizard-based form. In the first welcome page, click Next.
- Read the important information given in the next page that appears. To confirm you have read it, check-up the box labelled I have read and understand this message. Then click Next.
- In the next page, there will be 3 options- Migration, Windows 7 Upgrade Assistant and Image Assistant. Since you have to transfer programs and files to a new computer, select the first option that is Migration. Click Next.
- It will ask you whether it’s a new or old computer. Choose Old Computer option and click Next.
- Select the medium of transfer as you decided earlier. The simplest medium is using a USB Cable.
- Depending upon the medium of transfer you selected, make sure that the appropriate cable is connected, CD/ DVD is inserted or the network connection is established. Then click Next to continue.
- Click Next again.
- The wizard will start searching for the applications which can be possibly transferred. Select those programs that you have to transfer to the other PC and continue it till the end. Steps vary according to the transfer medium you had selected.
- When you are finished, let’s move to your new PC! Install PCMover on your new PC and run it.
- Repeat the above Steps 3-6.
- Select New Computer option and click Next.
- Again, click Next without downloading the advertised products. Continue the wizard your own.