A Redirect Virus is one which redirects you to a fixed website whenever you try to open any website on your web browser. As the name describes, it redirects to unwanted websites no matter the user has requested for it or not.
These redirect viruses are so annoying. It becomes hard to work on such an infected computer. The worst thing is that opening antivirus website and downloading an antivirus software also becomes complex. This article outlines the most common techniques used as redirect virus removal solution.
- Modify HOSTS File
- Reset Internet Settings
- Download Redirect Virus Removal
- Disable Browser Add-Ons
- Stop TDSSserve.sys
- Enable Using a Proxy Server for your LAN
Modify HOSTS File
There is a file called Hosts, located in Windows installation directory, which might be modified by the redirect virus. To solve your problem and get rid of the redirect virus, you need to alter the instructions provided in this file and remove virus made lines.
- Open My Computer.
- Open C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\
- Right click Hosts file and select Open With | Notepad.
- Carefully review its contents. At the bottom, you may found some IP Addresses. Remove all of them except 127.0.0.1
- Click File | Save.
Reset Internet Settings
Set the default internet settings and reset them so that any virus-made changes will be roll backed. Do the redirect virus removal steps given below:
- Open Internet Explorer and press Alt key of your keyboard.
- Choose Tools | Internet Settings.
- In the new dialog, click Settings tab.
- Click Reset button, select Delete Personal Settings and click Reset.
Download Redirect Virus Removal
A Redirect Virus Removal is a special program designed to scan the system and remove infected files and redirect viruses. Only few clicks are required to perform this operation and make the computer normal.
Here are the essential steps:
- Using your friend’s computer, download a Redirect Virus Removal.
- Burn it on a CD ROM Drive and place the same in your infected machine.
- Run it.
- Follow the on screen instructions. In a few seconds, your computer may become normal.
Disable Browser Add-Ons
Add-Ons are the browser extensions that usually third party programs install. There is a possibility that some of the add-ons that are recently installed may have installed the redirect virus. Disable all the add-ons to fix your problem.
- Open Internet Explorer, click Tools | Manage Add-Ons.
- Select a third party add-on, and click Disable button.
- Do the same for all other extensions and then restart your web browser.
There is a service called TDSSserve which sometimes redirects your browser to a malicious or phishing website. Stop it from running in the background as it is a fix for redirect virus removal.
- Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete.
- Select Start Task Manager option from the new full screen.
- Click Processes tab, right click TDSSserve.exe and select Stop option.
- Close Task Manager.
Enable using a Proxy Server for your LAN
For your Local Area Network settings, enable a proxy server as it is a good technique for redirect virus removal. Do the steps given below:
- Open Internet Explorer. Press Alt key.
- Click Tools | Internet Options.
- Click Connections tab, then LAN Settings.
- In the new dialog, mark Use a proxy server for your LAN and then click OK.
- Confirm the same by again clicking on OK.
- Finally, close the web browser.